Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How To Get Crafting and Organize It All

It is spring and if any of you are anything like me you really like to get organized. I have the fever......spring fever and when I go into my closet for all my craft stuff I realize I need to get rid of stuff and organize it all, but I have been collecting for years so I have a lot of purging to do. If you are just starting to craft all of it may seem very overwhelming. You may ask yourself where do I go to get supplies? Where do I put it all? What do I get? How do I get started? These are all tough questions but I have the answers.

Number one rule of starting to craft is you need a spot to craft. It does not need to be a whole room, I wish but not necessary. I use my kitchen table for a lot of my crafts.

Next you need to get some sort of storage container. You can use a tote bag, a plastic tote container, a backpack, a basket or just about every craft store like JoAnne's Fabric carries dividable containers for all those little odds and ends.

Then you need a place to store it all. I use a section of my closet and some stuff I store in the basement. You can use a spare closet, a spare room, the basement, under your bed or just about anywhere you can find space.

Next you need supplies..... I am going to list a few essential items that every crafter should have in their crafters containers
  1. Glue (Elmer's, glue sticks, and hot glue)
  2. Multi-purpose scissors
  3. Assorted paper in all colors
  4. Assorted paints (Start with the primary colors of Red,  Blue, Yellow, and Black and White)
  5. Remnant ribbons and string
  6. Pompoms
  7. Pipe cleaners
  8. Google eyes
  9. Assorted Feathers
  10. Assorted Paint brushes
  11. Assorted Pencils and Markers
  12. Remnant assorted fabrics
  13. Various stickers (Felt, foam and basic stickers)

That list should get you started and you can build from there. Just remember don't collect too much without keeping it organized and make sure you have a plan for what you collect or else it will just sit there and collect dust.

Finally where do you get all these supplies? Well there are several stores you can check out and remember go to the clearance section first there are some great deals there. Check out stores like Walmart, Jo-Anne's Fabric, Craft Mania, A.C. Moore, Micheal's as well as several on line sites. Sometimes you can find random deals at stores you would not even think of like Rite Aid or CVS just keep your crafter eyes on wherever you go and a deal could be where you least expect it.

There you have it. Once you follow these steps crafting is just a blog away. Remember have fun and always have your eye open for the next great idea. Hoppy Crafting:)

No comments:

Post a Comment