Sunday, March 27, 2011

Easter Tree Decoration

This weekend with Easter approaching I decided to try an Easter project with my kids. I have a 4 year old and an 8 year old so I had to create a project that would appeal to both. I came up with the Easter Egg Advent Tree. It was a fun project that kept my kids attention for a good afternoon. So read on and join in our adventure.....

Supplies needed for the project:
  1. Plastic Easter eggs in various colors (I used 24 rainbow colored eggs that I bought at Walmart for around $2.00 for 42 eggs........I will save the rest for a future project.)
  2. Ribbon ( I used green curly ribbon that i had around the house)
  3. Stickers ( I used felt stickers and various other stickers I had around the house)
  4. Various size sticks and branches ( I found some outside my house in the yard)
  5. A Styrofoam disk large enough to fit snugly in your container that you choose ( I used a 115/16 in x 37/8 in disk that I bought at walmart in the floral section for $1.50)
  6. A clay flower pot (I used a 6 inch on I had around the house)
  7. Easter grass ( I used green child and animal friendly kind that is available at most stores for .97 a bag)
  8. Scissors
  9. Candy or some sort of treat to go inside the egg.

    Once I decide to start a project I lay out all my supplies and brain storm. This step helps me process what I have and makes sure I have what I need. It may help you too. Especially if you have a lot of supplies...

    Step 1:  I had my kids pick the eggs they wanted and had them decorate them with various stickers of their choosing. You may want to encourage your kids to not cover the holes in the eggs or the crack in the eggs with the stickers because you will need these open for later steps. (My kids covered most of the cracks and holes so I just slit them back open later)

    Step 2: Once the eggs are decorated or while the kids are decorating the eggs cut the curling ribbon about 6-12 inches long and push the ribbon through the bottom of the egg and tie a double knot. See image below for a visual.


    Step 3: Once the eggs are threaded add whatever treats you want to put in your eggs. I used chocolate and of course the constant begging of my kids and my weakness of chocolate prevailed and we all had a chocolate or two but try to keep the snacking to a minimum. If chocolates is not your thing or your children have allergies or special diets use stickers or small toys that usually go into kids goody bags at parties or better yet money works wonders........I mean who wouldn't want a money tree;0)

    Step 4: Once the eggs are filled and closed shut it is time to make your tree. Put the Styrofoam in the bottom of your container and push down until it is snug. I f you want a little more stability you can use hot glue but mine worked just fine without it. If the container you are using is lightweight then you may want to put rocks in the bottom before adding your Styrofoam to keep your tree stable.

    Step 5: Next place your branches in various places around your Styrofoam until it resembles a small bare tree. See image below for a visual.

    Step 6: Next hang your eggs in varying levels all around your tree branches and using the edge of your scissors curling the ribbon left over for a finishing touch.

    Step 7: Lastly put the Easter grass all along the base of the tree to cover up the Styrofoam and voila a truly sweet advent Easter tree for all to enjoy.


    Variations: Now some people may not want it to be filled with treats and alone the tree is a wonderful decoration or even a centerpiece for an Easter meal. Maybe you could even snip off the eggs and give them to guests as they leave your house after a filling Easter meal. Best of all the supplies could be varied.....for example you could use any kind of ribbon, any type of container or maybe you want to paint your eggs whatever you want to experiment with try it and if it works for you great post it I would love to know but whatever you try don't be afraid to experiment sometimes they best things come from just playing around. So hop to it and hoppy crafting.

    3 comments:

    1. I am in love with this tree. It is so cute and so simple. How do you come up with these ideas? My kids love crafts and being a K teacher you'd think Id have tons, but Im always looking for new ones. Thank you for also providing a variation to chocolate or candy for those of us whose children cannot have it (for varying reasons)I think my 3 would jump for joy at different coins hidden inside. Too late to really make it an Advent tree now, but Im still making one with them for Easter. Hmmm, maybe we will fill the eggs with things to pass out to family....like that idea!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Well, we made the tree. Im so not good at this stuff. I kept wondering why the eggs kept sliding off the branches or down to the base....well, DUUHHH I didn't tie the eggs to the branches!!! I made loops! God, oh well, the kids still had a really fun time:) I wish I could post a picture of mine to show you, I'll put it on Facebook

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love your crafts, they are toddler friendly, thank you for sharing

      ReplyDelete