Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mother's Day Glass Vase

I know lots of you may be thinking what do I get my mom for Mother's Day? I know I for one really enjoy things my kids make me. So I thought lets make a project for a gift for a mom for Mother's Day. This idea came to me from my son. One year, he made me a vase for Mother's Day and I still use it to this day. So I thought I would share my version of it with all of you.

Supplies:
  1. Glass Jar (any size or shape)
  2. Paint (Acrylics or enamel paints)
  3. Sponges
  4. Scissors
  5. Paper plates or tinfoil for your palettes
  6. Ribbon
  7. Hot Glue

Step1: Clean your Glass jar and dry it. Soak it overnight if you need to remove a label.

Step2: Cut out various shapes out of the sponges you bought. I cut out triangles and hearts. It doesn't have to be complex shapes if you don't want them to be.

Step 3: Chose the color paints you want to use on your design and put the colors on your palette.

Step4: Dip your shapes into the paint and sponge them onto the sides of the jar in any design you wish. Let yourself and your kids go wild.

Step5: Once you have a design you really like then if you used acrylic paint you may want to let it dry and spray or paint a lacquer over it to secure the paint onto the glass. If you do not it will chip and wash off. You can find this at most craft stores. If you used enamel paints just let your paint dry and move onto the next step.

Step6: Once you jar is dry pick out what ribbons or bling you want to add to the jar and hot glue them on. Just remember that adding these types of decoration to your jar will limit how well they can be washed. I just rinse out my jar and try not to submerge it in water to preserve the ribbon. The one my son made me has nothing but paint on it and still looks as good as the day he gave it to me. It is all your choice.

     Once all is dry give it wrapped up or with flowers picked from the side of the road to a special mom in your life or even just a special person in your life. This makes a very sweet gift and it can be changed up for any type of person or even any occasion. Maybe it is not for Mother's Day. This could easily be adapted to other holiday's or special occasions if you want to. Again the possibilities are endless. So have fun and Hoppy Crafting. Happy Mother's Day to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment